Sunday, August 2, 2009

Introducing...

This blog is being done both to help myself adjust to the differences in living with disabilities and hopefully to help others as well. I want input from my readers. If you are going through this too, comment. Let's share our stories. If you have tips and hints that have helped you, comment. I've been dealing with this for the past three years but only this past year have felt good enough to really want to resume past activities. Only now I am finding it hard to do that. So I thought that while I work to figure things out for myself, maybe a blog would help and others can get some help too.

My disabilities have to do with irregular heart beat called atrial fibrillation which makes breathing difficult when I walk around, especially going outside which for me includes a few stairsteps. I also have arthritis in my knees and probably my feet and ankles. Depression is also a problem, especially since all this happened with the illness and arthritis. I walk inside my home with either crutches, cane or no assistance, depending on how I am feeling. Outside I walk only short distances using the crutches or cane, also depending on how I feel. I got a wheelchair a few weeks ago to enable me to do more activities outside. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. That is another issue. I have no transportation of my own, so going anywhere depends on getting to go with someone else. This is a big issue for me as I have never been one who would ask someone else for help. Learning to ask for help has been hard. But I can do it when I need to go to the store or to the doctor. I still haven't done well with asking someone to take me somewhere that is just for fun.

So let me know what you think of this blog, as well as how you cope with your disabilities. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment