Monday, September 26, 2011

Two Roads Converged In A Yellow Wood...

Have you ever felt yourself coming up on a crossroads in your life?  Somehow I am there now I think.  The trouble is, right now I don't see down either direction as clearly as the poet, Robert Frost, did when he penned The Road Not Taken.  But even so, when we do come upon these points in life, we cannot see very far ahead no matter how hard we try.  As I look ahead I see possibilities mixed with obstacles.  There is no going backwards, nor would I choose to if I could.  There is only forward.  But which way to go?

As I sit here contemplating where I have been this past year and where I would like to go yet before this year comes to a close, I am also wondering about what lies beyond.  Right now I have no idea which direction I may choose to take.  What I do know is that I can't continue in this place where I am for much longer.  I never imagined in my life that I would have been through the things I've been through the past few years.  But come through it I did, with the help and grace of God.  The lessons I have learned, the people I have come to know and love, and the opportunities I have been given this past year have just overwhelmed me to the point that I know there is more out there waiting if I just step out in faith to find it.

Looking out on the road choices ahead I do see the obstacles standing boldly there trying to convince me that there is no going forward for me.  I've overcome a lot of obstacles and challenges in my life but today these particular obstacles seem to loom up taller and stronger than any I have faced before.  Maybe they are so big that they are blocking my view of what is down those roads waiting for me to choose.  I remember days past when I would simply pick a road and rush ahead to see what was there, almost without even considering what might be down the other road, or what the consequences of my choice might be.  I also remember more recently being timid and afraid to make the choice and letting the road choose me, again not looking at the possible consequences.  But this year has been a mixture of both options I believe.  I've made many strong choices.  I've also had choices made for me that I would not have picked, as well as those that I was very excited about.  This time, as I sit here reflecting on past choices and past forks in the roads I've traveled, I think of where I would like to go and what I would like to be doing next year.  

Friends, I am taking some time this time to think it through.  I am no longer rushing into this path or that path.  Neither am I sitting back and allowing the path to choose me.  If you don't see me for awhile during this decision-making process, don't fret.  I'm still here and I definitely plan on keeping you posted on my progress.  I love you all more than you know.

The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost 

No comments:

Post a Comment